Gareth Barry has confirmed he will definitely miss England’s opening match in the World Cup against the United States on Saturday, reports The Times.
The Manchester City midfielder had always been doubtful for the opening match as he continued to recover from the ankle injury suffered playing against Tottenham Hotspur in the Premier League at the beginning of May.
Barry’s progress has been so encouraging that there had been thoughts he might even make the opening match, though he confirmed tonight that Fabio Capello had decided not to risk him.
“I’ve been told I’m not playing against USA to give me more time,” Barry said. “I’ll be back in full training with the team from tomorrow.”